Questions and Answers about Homestead Exemption
A Homestead Exemption is an exemption of $1,000 of the assessed valuation of a primary residence you own. In tax year 2008, this can be a savings of $73.61 to $110.68 depending on which area of the county you are located.
- You must be the homeowner of record, who resides on the property by January 1.
- The property deed must be notarized on or before January 1 and filed with the County Clerk’s Office on or before February 1.
- You must be a resident of Oklahoma. (If you are active duty military, you must claim Oklahoma as your home state of residency in order to qualify).
Homestead Exemption applications are accepted at any time throughout the year. However, the application must be filed by March 15 to be approved for the current year. Any application filed after March 15 can not be approved until the following year.
- In person: You may apply for the Homestead Exemption at the Comanche County Assessor’s Office between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m, Monday through Friday. Our office is located at 315 SW "5th" St, Suite 301, Lawton, OK 73501.
- By mail: You may download the Homestead Exemption application (pdf) and return it by mail to this address:
Comanche County Assessor
Attn: Homestead Dept.
315 SW "5th" St, Suite 301
Lawton, OK 73501
- Please refer to the Calendar portion of this site for a list of times and places applications will be accepted in addition to applying at the Assessor’s Office. The list of times and places will also be listed in the Lawton Constitution and other Comanche County newspapers in early January.
If you have been granted Homestead Exemption and continue to occupy the homestead property, you are not required to re-apply for homestead exemption. However, if you change your deed or move you will need to re-file.